O’Connell renovation postponed one year, some graduations remains in stadium

The Stephen C. O’Connell Center’s proposed renovations will be postponed one year, but Spring commencement will remain in the Swamp.

The project was paused due to its aggressive schedule, rising costs and change in construction management, UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes said.

She said the previous management team’s short time frame called for the start of construction before the design was finalized.

The design plan was 60 percent complete before the new team took over, Sikes said. 

It was estimated to cost $60 million, but a finalized budget and completion date won’t be determined until the design is complete. 

There should be a new plan in about six to eight weeks.

“It is a special building,” Sikes said. “It is important we do it right. We pushed pause temporarily.”

Sikes said Spring commencement will remain as scheduled in the Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. She said  the university didn’t want to inconvenience those who  already made plans and sent out invitations.

[A version of this story ran on page 4 on 2/26/2015 under the headline “O’Connell renovation postponed one year”]

New chair-back seats

New high-definition video boards and sound system

Updated mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems

Renovated offices and locker rooms