Gator Growl ’14 leaves Ben Hill Griffin Stadium for Flavet Field

<p class="p1"><span class="s1">Sister Hazel performs at Gator Growl on Nov. 8, 2013, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. This year’s Gator Growl will be hosted on Flavet Field instead of in the Swamp.</span></p>

Sister Hazel performs at Gator Growl on Nov. 8, 2013, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. This year’s Gator Growl will be hosted on Flavet Field instead of in the Swamp.

After 82 years of hosting Gator Growl in the Swamp, the production team is setting its sights on a smaller venue.

The Gator Growl committee announced Sunday that Gator Growl 2014, themed “Limitless,” will be moved from Ben Hill Griffin Stadium to Flavet Field.

The pep rally will be held Oct. 17 at 7 p.m. as the conclusion of UF’s Homecoming week.

The decision to change the location came after Gator Growl producers surveyed students, alumni and Gainesville residents.

“We had an overwhelming response that people wanted a more intimate show. They want it to be more interactive,” said Devin McDaniel, executive producer of Gator Growl.

The decision was also derived from financial and logistical concerns. Flavet Field is a cheaper venue, and the committee was struggling to find someone who could perform in the Swamp.

Although the stadium can seat 90,000, attendance numbers have been dropping below 30,000 since 2008, with the exception of about 36,000 in 2009.

Ticket sales dropped to roughly 20,000 in 2012 and fell further to 15,000 in 2013, according to an email from former Florida Blue Key President Brock Hankins.

McDaniel noted that Flavet Field’s size gives the pep rally room to grow from last year’s attendance of 15,000 while reducing a need for extensive stage setup.

McDaniel said that she felt the theme “Limitless” was conducive of the new venue.

“There are endless possibilities, and there’s just so much we could do with this venue,” she said. “When we’re on Flavet Field, there are no limits to what we can and cannot do.”

Despite the “Limitless” theme, there are plans in place for limitations on the venue.

The committee is discussing the construction of a large fence around the field to ensure that only ticket holders can attend the giant pep rally.

Students like Kristen Urichko, who attended a jazz festival on Flavet Field, feel a part of the appeal of the new venue is the ability to attend and leave freely.

“People were just coming and going in,” said the 19-year-old UF health sciences freshman. “I loved that feeling, being outside with people, just on a blanket.”

Another issue with the venue comes in the form of seating.

With the permanent bleachers of the stadium gone, the Gator Growl committee must also deal with the issue of finding seating for the alumni and attendees uncomfortable with spending three hours standing or sitting on a blanket.

“We are discussing bleacher seating and VIP tents for those who would be willing to pay more,” McDaniel said.

[Alligator staff writer Sean Stewart-Muniz contributed reporting. A version of this story ran on page 1 on 3/31/2014 under the headline "Gator Growl ’14 leaves Swamp for Flavet Field"]