Sandra Wilson is switching seats in the UF Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences.

On Wednesday, IFAS announced Wilson as the new interim chair of the environmental horticulture department, a branch of agriculture involving landscape.

Although she recently moved to Gainesville, Wilson is not new to the Gator Nation. 

For the past 15 years, she worked as a UF professor and researcher at the IFAS research facility in Fort Pierce.

“Florida is the second largest ornamental industry in the nation,” Wilson said. “It generates billions of dollars and thousands of jobs for the state.”

As the new interim chair, Wilson said she plans to recruit the best students to the program and bring an identity to environmental horticulture, demonstrating its ability to serve its students. She also said she’s working on strategic hiring to bring in the best faculty.

“We’re working on national branding,” Wilson said. “That is who we are and who we serve.”

Ruth Borger, IFAS assistant vice president of communications, said Wilson is a qualified candidate because of her extensive experience at the Indian River Research and Education Center.

“She has the research background and the administrative capacity to take on the role,” Borger said.

Jack Payne, the UF senior vice president of agriculture and natural resources, said he hired Wilson because she represented the mission of the institute.

Wilson will work with IFAS to bring new knowledge, programs and products to Florida residents, Payne said.

“She’s a great teacher and a great scientist,” he said.

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 1/27/2015 under the headline “IFAS interim chair appointed, plans to recruit students"]