Queer, Transgender People of Color United holds first awareness week

UF’s Queer, Transgender People of Color United is holding a week of events to educate others about the group.

Ellie Gaustria, the president of QTPOC, said the group decided to hold the week for the first time to celebrate and showcase QTPOC’s member’s narratives and identities. The event, which runs through Thursday, is designed to show students the intersection between being queer, transgender and a person of color.

Gaustria, a 22-year-old UF nursing student, said she wanted to hold the four events around campus to allow other organizations, such as Pride Student Union, the Institute of Black Culture and La Casita, to work with QTPOC.

QTPOC formed in 2011, Gaustria said, and she plans to hold a second week from Feb. 20 to Feb. 23.

“We’re kind of catering to a group of people who feel as if they don’t have a representation on campus,” she said.

Danielle Kane, a 25-year-old Santa Fe College student, recently moved to Gainesville from Ocala for school. Kane wants to join the QTPOC to be part of a larger LGBTQ+ community.

“I’m African American and Hispanic, and in Ocala, we didn’t have anything like that,” Kane said of QTPOC. “I used to perform drag back in Ocala, but over there, everyone’s not really together.”

• September 28
    • Mental Health Panel Discussion
    • 7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Institute of Black Culture
  • Thursday, September 29
    • Sexual Assault Panel Discussion
    • 7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Rainbow Suite