Faculty Senate discusses dates for next year’s Homecoming

UF students, faculty and staff could get a four-day weekend again for Homecoming.

Associate Provost for Undergraduate Affairs Bernard Mair introduced the topic at Thursday’s UF Faculty Senate meeting, saying that the most feasible date for Homecoming 2013 is Nov. 8, which leads into Veterans Day weekend.

The only October home game on next year’s football schedule is Oct. 5, which Mair said is too early for Homecoming activities.

The Faculty Senate will vote in December to finalize the date for Homecoming.

Mair also reminded the Faculty Senate that this Monday and Tuesday are not holidays, although classes are canceled Wednesday. He said students are required to attend school as normal.

Also at the meeting, Faculty Senate Chair Cheri Brodeur updated attendees about the ongoing search for UF’s next president. She said questions for applicants are being finalized, which means the interviews themselves may not be too far off.

“When it happens, it will be very fast,” she said.

Associate Provost for Teaching and Technology Andy McCollough gave details about the university’s partnership with online learning program Coursera.

He said five not-for-credit UF courses will be offered starting next year: Economic Issues Food and You; Fundamentals of Human Nutrition; Global Sustainable Energy: Past, Present and Future; Sustainable Agriculture/Urban Land Management; and How Music Works.

Contact Julia Glum at jglum@alligator.org.