One of the main researchers featured in the movie “Concussion” has been appointed as interim executive directior of UF Health’s McKnight Brain Institute.

Dr. Steven DeKosky, a UF neurology professor, will hold the position temporarily until a permanent director can be found, said David Guzick, the president of UF Health. DeKosky will be paid $300,000, UF spokesperson Steve Orlando said.

DeKosky was the most qualified for the position, Guzick said.

“He has a lot of administrative experience,” he said.

Before DeKosky came to UF, he was the director of the Alzheimer Disease Research Center at the University of Pittsburgh where he did research that linked football injuries to brain injuries, Guzick said. 

DeKosky was portrayed in “Concussion” after he helped with research focused on Mike Webster, a former football player for the Pittsburgh Steelers who died as a result of his sports injuries.

DeKosky said when he came back to UF he found a larger neuroscience community than he expected.

While he is director, he will start an online directory of everyone working in neuroscience at UF, he said.

“We have people who are doing neuroscience things all over campus,” he said.

Contact Katelyn Newberg at knewberg@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter @k_newberg.