Monday, March 18, 2024

Bursts of color and patriotism will once again speckle the night sky over UF’s Flavet Field.

The College of Journalism and Communications is hosting its July 3 staple to celebrate Independence Day.

Dubbed “Fanfares & Fireworks,” the event traditionally consists of three musical acts followed by the fireworks display, said Sue Wagner, director of community relations for WRUF and WUFT.

This year’s event on Flavet Field will host Bears and Lions, a Gainesville group that dresses up in costumes of their namesakes while performing fun music aimed at both children and adults.

InCrisis, a rock ‘n’ roll group, will also be playing before the fireworks.

“We really try to make it something family friendly and appropriate while still being enjoyable for everyone,” Wagner said of the lineup.

Glenn Rickard and Myra Monroe, both associated with the College of Journalism and Communications, will serve as emcees for the night. 

The fireworks, provided by Skylighters of Florida, will begin at 9:40 p.m. and are set to live music from the Gainesville Community Band joined by The UF Billy Mitchell Drill Team Color Guard in a salute to the armed forces.

After being absent for a few years due to funding issues, the event has been steadily attracting guests for the past three years, drawing in crowds of more than 10,000 if the weather is nice, Wagner said.

Local businesses sponsor the event alongside the university to provide a safe and enjoyable experience, hosting the event annually on July 3 to avoid any conflicts with the City of Alachua.

“It’s our gift to the community,” Wagner said.

Those who get to the field early enough are invited to picnic before the main attraction, though no dogs, sparklers or alcohol is allowed. 

Guests who arrive after the field is full can still watch from any of the parking garages or near Lake Alice, Wagner said.

“When you watch from the lake and all of the lights are reflecting on the water, it’s almost better than watching it from the field,” said Jackie Huber, a Gainesville resident and mother of two who attends annually. 

“This was the one time our tardiness paid off.”