UF accounting ranks fourth in 50 best accounting schools

A new ranking has UF’s accounting program among the best in the nation.

UF’s program ranked fourth in OnlineAccountingDegrees.net’s ranking of the 50 best accounting schools in the U.S. this week. 

UF ranked behind the University of Illinois at Urbana, Texas A&M  University — College Station and the University of Washington.

“We’re very pleased that the rest of the world recognizes the hard work that everyone tries to do here, from students to faculty and staff,” said Gary McGill, associate dean and director of the Fisher School of Accounting.

The program excels because of its rigorous coursework and its emphasis on creating students who will be leaders in their field, McGill said. 

This includes hiring world-class faculty, providing rigorous coursework and offering a combined degree programs in which students can gain both their bachelor’s and master’s degrees in accounting over the course of five years, he said.

Although the workload can be difficult, Jane Lazzara, 20, said she believes the hard work is worth the payoff.

“The rigor and reputation of the program is definitely true,” the UF accounting junior said, “but I don’t think I would be as prepared for the CPA (certified public accountant) exam and for the career without it.”