Saturday’s game breaks season record for arrests, ejections

<p>An FSU fan is handcuffed and escorted out of Ben Hill Griffin Stadium during Saturday's game.</p>

An FSU fan is handcuffed and escorted out of Ben Hill Griffin Stadium during Saturday's game.

Although the Gators lost against Florida State University, UF did break one season record on Saturday night.

With 156 ejections from Ben Hill Griffin Stadium and 11 arrests, the UF-FSU game had the highest number of ejections and arrests of all the home games this season.

At the UF-Alabama football game, seven people were arrested and 102 people were ejected-the highest number of ejections and arrests this season until the UF-FSU game, according to Alligator archives.

The new season records for the FSU game were expected given the nature of the game, said Maj. Brad Barber, public information officer for the University Police.

"This was something that we prepared for and was typical of a rivalry game played later on in the evening," he said.

One of the 11 people arrested was a UF student. Additional information on the student wasn't available at press time.

Arrests could include physical arrests or notices to appear in court, Barber said. UF students who were arrested or ejected from Saturday's game or previous matches this season could also face repercussions from UF Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution.

UPD worked with the Gainesville Police Department, Alachua County Sheriff's Office and Florida Highway Patrol on gameday.

The most common reason for ejecting people from the stadium Saturday was disorderly conduct, for which 50 people were ejected and two were arrested, according to a UPD news release.

There were 31 ejections for alcohol possession, including four arrests, and two arrests for underage possession of alcohol.

"It was very busy, and the officers did an excellent job managing a very hectic night," Barber said.