UF professors, students to attend Alzheimer’s conference

Two professors and two students will represent UF at a conference Sunday to contribute to research for Alzheimer’s disease.

Alzheimer’s is the sixth leading cause of death in the U.S. and the only top-10 leading cause of death that cannot be prevented or cured, according to a press release from the Alzheimer’s Association.

The team of UF professors and students will be among the 5,000 attending the Alzheimer’s Association International Conference in Toronto, which features scientists, researchers and healthcare providers, according to the release.

“I am looking forward to attending a day-long session on the use of technologies, like iPads, monitoring cameras, queuing devices, to help people with Alzheimer’s disease function in their preferred environments,” Dr. Glenn Smith, a professor of clinical and health psychology who is attending the conference, wrote in an email.

The conference begins Sunday and will run through July 28.

Sadaf Milani, an epidemiology graduate student who is also going, will be presenting a poster called “Perceptions of Research and Participation among Community Members Who Report a History of Dementia.”

“With the prevalence of dementia increasing, participation in research will be needed to enhance knowledge surrounding dementia,” Milani wrote in an email.

She said research found community members reporting dementia were very interested in participating in health research studies.

Meredith Wicklund, an assistant professor of neurology, and Brenda Moore, a biological science lab member, are also attending.