UF and Elsevier, a journal publishing company, are collaborating to allow more direct access to UF researchers’ final publications.

The dean of university libraries, Judy Russell, conversed with different groups on campus about getting more content into UF’s institutional repository, or IR@UF, where researchers submit their articles.

The pilot program began May 19. Russell said UF is the only institution currently collaborating with Elsevier.

UF researchers, administrators and faculty felt it was redundant to put material in ScienceDirect and link published articles back to the same system, said Benjamin Walker, the assistant dean of digital services and shared collections.

“We have had ScienceDirect as our database for a long time here at UF,” Walker said. “The problem we were having with the IR is getting people to load the material into the IR.”

A large number of UF researchers use ScienceDirect to publish their scientific content.

The copies at the IR@UF are pre-publication copies and often do not have final changes made.

The collaboration with Elsevier allows there to be “a way to populate research without the researchers to do more work,” Walker said.

“We think it is a service to our faculty,” Russell said. “It is letting them showcase their research and yet we are not having to get the information from them.”