Two UF libraries may transfer collections to Library West

In an effort to solve space issues, two libraries within the UF College of Fine Arts may transfer their collections to Library West.

UF Provost Joe Glover initiated this discussion, concerning the Architecture and Fine Arts Library and the Music Library, as a potential solution for art and music students seeking more creative space.

The floor of the Music Library cannot structurally hold any more material, and the school is in "dire need" of rehearsal space, said Richard Heipp, director of the School of Art and Art History.

Art students and faculty are similarly strapped for studio space.

Studios and rehearsal rooms, Heipp said, are the equivalent of a research lab to art students. Currently, art studios are scattered around campus in buildings like Yon Hall and the basement of Norman Gym.

"Artists are good at finding spaces," he said. "These spaces are adequate but not ideal. It would be nice to be able to provide properly ventilated, properly lit spaces."

To address these issues, Glover suggested moving the libraries' collections to the third floor of Library West and converting the space into studios and rehearsal rooms.

Diane Bruxvoort, an associate dean of the university libraries, said this move was feasible from Library West's point of view.

It's been in the library's long-term plan to move reference books and journals that are available electronically to off-site storage, she said.

She estimated that 85,000 people a year use the Architecture and Fine Arts Library, compared with about 1.5 million a year at Library West.

"It's definitely doable to absorb those types of numbers into Library West," Bruxvoort said.

This raises concerns about the numbers of computers and the availability of seating.

She said the library has been talking with Student Government about the option of extending the hours of Library West to accommodate the possible influx of students.

"Right now the decisions lie with the provost and the College of Fine Arts," she said.

As of noon Friday, 93 percent of faculty members within the School of Art and Art History said they were not in favor of the proposed move, Heipp said.

"We were told that the faculty is the most important voice," he said. "We've decided it's not in line with our academic mission."

Andy Howard, spokesman for the College of Fine Arts, said the college is still waiting to hear feedback from all of its schools before making an official recommendation to the provost.

The College of Design, Construction and Planning will also need to weigh in on the discussion as they share the Architecture and Fine Arts Library with the CFA.

These ideas are still in very preliminary stages, Howard said, but it seems that the parties involved in the Architecture and Fine Arts Library are generally against the proposed move, while the School of Music seems to be more open to the idea of moving its collection to gain practice rooms.