studying
studying

On-campus organizations at UF are getting ready to help students get through finals week.

UF Dean of Students Jen Day Shaw said services like U Matter, We Care, the Disability Resource Center and the Field and Fork Food Pantry are prepared to handle the increase of students experiencing stress over finals.

“The care team certainly experiences a pretty significant jump of students in distress,” she said.

“Reach out to your housing staff; reach out to your friends. Don’t feel like you’re the only one feeling anxious or uncertain.”

Jennifer Kennymore, a health promotion specialist at GatorWell, said the organization is offering different services during reading days and finals week to help students cope with stress.

“I think all of the resources that are available on campus are great for students to utilize,” Kennymore said.

GatorWell is co-hosting events during the week, which includes Smash Bash and Treat Yourself, both of which will take place on the Reitz Union North Lawn, she said. Another event, Food for Thought, will take place at Marston Science Library.

Catherine Seemann, a communications coordinator for UF’s Student Health Care Center, said students going to the infirmary this time of year typically suffer from general fatigue, which she attributes to students not managing their time and stress well.

She recommends students get at least six to eight hours of sleep, eat healthy and exercise.

“It’s OK to treat yourself for sure, but don’t overdo it,” Seemann said.

Patrick Reakes, the associate dean for Scholarly Resources and Services for the Smathers Libraries, said starting today, Library West is hosting Finals Relaxation Week, which includes things such as free food and a motivation wall.

The library gets twice the amount of traffic during finals week, Reakes said.

“It goes up really drastically during those two weeks,” he said. “The main thing we do is just make sure everybody working at all the service desks is extra understanding.”

Finals Relaxation Week:

What: Free coffee and doughnuts

Where: Library West

When: Today at 4 p.m.

What: Free snacks, adult coloring and study myths

Where: Library West

When: Tuesday at 3:30 p.m.

What: Free pizza

Where: Library West

When: Wednesday at 5 p.m.

Events happening this week:

What: Smash Bash

Where: Reitz Union North Lawn

When: Thursday at 11 a.m.

What: Food For Thought

Where: Marston Breezeway

When: Thursday at 11 a.m.

What: Treat Yourself

Where: Reitz Union North Lawn

When: Friday at 11 a.m.