<p>Florida Cheerleaders perform during the Gators’ basketball game against Rider University at the Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena in 2011.</p>

Florida Cheerleaders perform during the Gators’ basketball game against Rider University at the Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena in 2011.

The University Athletic Association addressed Monday the marketing department’s decision to ban UF cheerleaders from tumbling and performing stunts at practices, events and games.

“We understand that the modern day culture of cheerleading encourages acrobatic stunts, which require tremendous athletic skill,” said Steve McClain, UAA senior associate athletics director, in an emailed statement to the Alligator. “The reality, however, is that the danger associated with these types of stunts is simply not worth the risk to the cheerleaders or to the University of Florida.”

Jason Merslich, a 27-year-old former Gators cheerleader, former team coach and still-involved volunteer, said the cheerleaders’ frequent practicing makes it less risky.

According to the GatorZone cheerleading website, the teams practice two to three times a week to work on tumbling skills, stunting, pyramids and basket tosses.

“I’d like to see someone who’s not an athlete throw someone in the air above their head or be held in the air and stay steady on one leg,” Merslich said.

McClain reminded people in the email that cheerleading is not one of UF’s varsity competitive sports. Instead, he said, it is a “support group” intended to generate spirit at UF events.

The decision to effectively ground the UF cheerleaders “was not one that was made lightly,” McClain said in the email.

“Instead of waiting for a tragedy to occur,” McClain said in the email, “we are taking a proactive stance to protect the cheerleaders.”