UF kicks off local food campaign at Gator Corner

UF students and Gainesville residents gathered at the Gator Corner Dining Center on Wednesday morning for a breakfast featuring crepes with local organic citrus, tempeh scramble with cage-free eggs and organic oatmeal with local fixings.

The Farm-to-Table Breakfast served as a kickoff to the UF Office of Sustainability's Food For Thought campaign, which runs Feb. 1 to April 26.

The campaign will educate people on food and sustainability issues, said Ashley Pennington, the Office of Sustainability's outreach coordinator. She said the campaign's main goal is to connect people with local resources.

At the breakfast, each cooking station featured a description of the food and its origin, and attendees received guides to sustainability printed on recycled paper with soy-based inks.

The entire campaign will cost UF about $5,000, according to Anna Prizzia, director of the Office of Sustainability.

She said local food is food that comes from within 250 miles.

"Since it is an awareness campaign, I think we will be gauging [success] based on who is coming out and how many people are showing up to the events," Prizzia said. The campaign will include surveys to learn people's reactions to events.

Other events will include speakers, a do-it-yourself series of canning and preserving food and a film screening as a part of the Cinema Verde Environmental Film and Arts Festival. The full calendar of events can be found on the Food For Thought website, sustainable.ufl.edu/food.