Students spotlight health care in American Pharmacist Month

UF pharmacy students are promoting health care during American Pharmacist Month this October.

The UF College of Pharmacy’s American Pharmacists Association Academy of Student Pharmacists wants students to understand the extensive role pharmacists play in health care besides filling prescriptions.

“Pharmacists are one of the most accessible but under-utilized health care providers,” said American Pharmacist Month co-chair Laura Robayo. 

As part of American Pharmacist Month, the organization is advertising on UF marquees to motivate students to get to know their pharmacists. The group will also volunteer at Walgreens’ senior day, where it will communicate the many ways in which pharmacists can have a positive impact on elderly health.

Pharmacists are advocates for their patients, said Robayo, a 23-year-old UF second-year pharmacy student. They provide information so that patients can make informed medical decisions.

“Their breadth of knowledge enables them to assist patients in the management of various health conditions,” she said.

Pharmacists are taught to look at more than just the disease and the medication to treat it.

“Sometimes the best medication to treat a disease may not be the best medication option for the patient,” said Carrie Hoffman, a 21-year-old UF second-year pharmacy student. “A pharmacist’s role is to treat the patient not the disease.”

The role of a pharmacist is much more than medications. It is providing personalized attention and explanations to patients on an individualized basis.

“They are detail-orientated individuals who know a lot about drug therapy and health care,” said Natalie Brumwell, a 20-year-old UF nutrition junior.

The accessibility of a pharmacist at drugstores makes them excellent resources as well, Brumwell said. 

“Some people are surprised to hear about all the career opportunities a pharmacist has,” Brumwell said. “There are also careers working in a clinical setting such as a hospital. I really liked the idea that pharmacists can be a go-to source within a community for health care advice.”

Outside of October, the organization hosts health screenings to educate the community about health care issues. The students also provide blood glucose control, prescription drug abuse and immunization information to the community. 

“It may seem intimidating to a patient when asked, ‘Do you have any questions for the pharmacist?’” Hoffman said. “But, that is what the pharmacist is there for.”