Chemical engineering department to host 75th anniversary

The UF Department of Chemical Engineering will celebrate its 75th anniversary Friday from 4 to 8 p.m. at the new Chemical Engineering Student Center.

More than 200 students, faculty and almuni are expected to attend the event featuring live music, a buffet, guest speakers and an unveiling of the wall of fame, which recognizes alumni, faculty members and donors who have given the biggest contributions to the department.

Attendees can also partake in tours offered to showcase the new student center and the department labs. 

The student center, which opened in Fall 2013, hosts the academic advising center, department administration, a conference room and a student collaboration space.

Monique Phears, assistant to the chair with the department of chemical engineering, said the energy around the event has prompted several people to try to register last minute.

“People are pretty excited — students too,” Phears said. “I think it’s good for them to see the alumni coming back.” 

Several alumni have made $75 donations for the department’s 75th anniversary to nominate the professors who have made the most impact.

“Alumni can reminisce and talk about the impact the department had on their lives and careers and say something meaningful about that,” said Richard Dickinson, chair of the UF department of chemical engineering. 

People can find out more information by going to the event website at conta.cc/1AcFsn3.

[A version of this story ran on page 9 on 9/5/2014 under the headline "Chemical engineering department to host 75th anniversary"]