Gainesville is not the least bit chilly, but UF just got a little cooler after the Sierra Club Magazine recently placed the school No. 15 on its third annual "Cool School" list with an "A" grade.

The Sierra Club works to protect communities, wild places and the planet. It is the oldest, largest and most influential grassroots environmental organization in the US, according to the Sierra Club Web site. School rankings are based on eight main factors, including energy, efficiency, transportation and waste.

According to the Web site, if two or more schools tie for a spot, the club considers other factors such as consistency across categories.

"I think UF is an environmentally friendly school because of all the seemingly small programs that are implemented right on campus," said junior communicative disorders major Kristen Davis. "I always see trashcans around campus encouraging students to 'Put it in the can, Gator fan.'"

According to the list, The University of Colorado at Boulder is No. 1., which earned 10 out of 10 points for transportation, while UF received only 8.

"I love that taking the bus and leaving my car at home saves me gas money, parking hassles and is good for the environment," Davis said. Other high-ranking schools include Harvard University and Yale University, which placed 11th and 14th, respectively.

While the University of Central Florida stands at the No. 57 spot with a "C-plus,"other Florida schools such as Florida State University and the University of Miami didn't make the cut. "Sustainability is one of our priorities here. It's clearly important to students," said UF spokesman Steve Orlando, adding that environmental programs, including Zipcar and buying locally grown produce for dining halls, are campus-wide efforts.

"Every new generation places the environment as a higher priority," he said. "You really can't lose with that."