UF leaders discuss scholarship at Emerson Alumni Hall

At a roundtable discussion Monday, UF leaders presented their ideas on scholarship.

The public discussion held in Emerson Alumni Hall included Provost Joseph Glover, David Guzick, senior vice president for health affairs, and Jack Payne, senior vice president for agriculture and natural resources.

Mike Foley, a master lecturer in the College of Journalism and Communications, facilitated the conversation.

The discussion is the first part in a series of talks hosted by the UF Faculty Senate. Guzick spoke about the evolution of scholarship and its role in academic health centers.

Guzick said scholarship and research are the foundation of UF’s reputation.

“It is the academic health center that brings scholarship together with education and clinical service in a positive feedback loop,” he said.

Payne said scholarship is broader than research published in a peer-reviewed journal.

“We in IFAS place a high value on scholarly achievements but extend the concept of scholarship beyond research,” he said.

[A version of this story ran on page 3 on 2/25/2014 under the headline “Leaders discuss scholarship"]