Student-run food website Spoon University coming to UF

Gator foodies have a new online resource for the latest in recipes, reviews and articles about their favorite topic.

Spoon University, a student-run food publication, is in the beginning stages of launching a UF branch and is hoping to cater to UF students.

A year and a half ago, Mackenzie Barth, 22, co-founded Spoon University, a publication that centered on different aspects of food through the lens of college students and campus life.

Spoon University began as a print publication at Northwestern University, and it made its Internet debut in September 2013.

The site features sections on a variety of food-related subjects. Restaurant reviews and recipes are the most popular categories on the site, Barth said.

“The recipe section is pretty cool because they’re all made by students, so they’re all verifiably easy to do,” she said.

The website began with chapters at five campuses and has increased its college presence to chapters at 25 campuses nationwide.

“The ultimate goal is to make food accessible for college students,” Barth said.

Agata Kowalewska, a visiting assistant scientist at UF who has a Ph.D. in nutrition, said the site has the potential to be useful for students.

“From my previous research, I know that college students don’t know how to cook,” she said. “Many students have never been exposed to cooking.”

She said Spoon University could help students learn to cook.

Emily Bolter, a 20-year-old UF health education and behavior junior, said she agreed the new site could be a good resource, especially recipes created by fellow students.

An avid baker, Bolter said she’s always on the lookout for new recipes.

“I think it’s pretty awesome,” Bolter said. “I would definitely look at it for updates.”

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 2/12/2014 under the headline "Student-run food website makes its way to UF with cooking ideas"]