The Zeta Beta Tau fraternity chapter at UF is under investigation after members reportedly insulted veterans during a formal this past weekend in Panama City Beach.

Members from ZBT chapters at UF and Emory University were celebrating a spring formal at the Laketown Wharf Resort in Panama City Beach this past weekend when members reportedly disrespected disabled military veterans attending a retreat at the same location.

The veterans were at the resort as part of a week-long event hosted by the Warrior Beach Retreat to allow veterans and their spouses to relax.

But the retreat was disrupted when the fraternity members reportedly spit on the veterans and stole their American flags.

The UF chapter has since suspended its activities, and UF president Kent Fuchs wrote an apology letter to the organization and its organizer, Linda Cope.

“As this investigation continues, and without knowing the full extent of what transpired, I want to make clear that I am deeply sorry for the affront that our students may have caused,” Fuchs wrote.

Both UF and Emory promised full investigations into the matter.

“The disrespectful behavior exhibited by students toward our veterans is not acceptable and will not be tolerated by members of the Emory community,” Emory University officials wrote in a statement.