Student ticket sales still down for Florida-Georgia

Student tickets are still available for the Florida-Georgia game.

The Alligator reported Friday that 500 of the 5,500 student tickets were still available.

As of noon Monday, tickets still were not sold out, said Mark Gajda, assistant athletics director for ticket operations. Gajda said fewer tickets were available Monday than were available Friday, but he declined to give an exact number.

Gajda said he wasn't sure whether tickets had remained on sale for this long in recent years but said having unsold tickets five days after going on sale is unusual.

Florida-Georgia is considered one of the season's most popular games and biggest rivalries. Tickets usually sell out within a few hours.

"We're attributing it to people not traveling to away football games anymore as they have in previous years," Gajda said.

The sluggish economy and relatively high gas prices may also be to blame for the slow sale, Gajda said.

The game will be in Jacksonville at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. 29 and will be broadcast live on CBS. Tickets cost $40 and can be bought on gatorzone.com.

Tickets should sell out by midweek, Gajda said.

Students who have purchased tickets for the game will be able to collect them next week. Further details will be emailed to students after the sale ends.