Suspected plagiarism between two Student Government applicants at Tuesday night’s Senate meeting sparked debate.

After five of the nine applicants for assistant to the Supervisor of Elections were passed unanimously, four were put into question by Sen. Preston Jones.

Jones noticed two candidates —  freshmen Camden Anderson and Ronald Heinkel — had nearly identical platforms. He also said freshmen Henry McClane and Chase Mallory had unsatisfactory resumes.

“I find it suspect that (Anderson’s and Heinkel’s) application essays are so closely aligned with each other and would be concerned about passing someone who possibly committed some sort of plagiarism,” Jones said.

Sen. Michael Christ suggested a no-vote on the motion to induct the group of four, motioning that senators should vote for individual candidates.

“Sen. Jones clearly has an issue with a certain number of applicants, and he should be able to voice those and be able to vote on them as should every other member of the body,” Christ said.

The vote was not unanimous, but split nearly in half, which marked the first division of Senate since December 2013, Christ said.

The motion to vote on individual candidates did not pass, and all four were approved.

Supervisor of Elections Hans Rojas said the candidates were narrowed down by basic qualifications, including GPA. Candidates also  had to be full-time students, have no political party affiliation and never have held a leadership position in an SG-funded organization.

Eighteen candidates qualified and were narrowed down by high school experience and knowledge of 700 election codes. Half of the candidates were then selected to be viewed by the judiciary committee, which chose four to be approved by the Senate.

Chairman of the Rules and Ethics Committee Anthony Sorrentino said he wasn’t surprised the two candidates knew each other. He said the process can be confusing for freshmen, and he understands if they wanted to work together.

“If they are approved, the type of teamwork and partnership that could be forged through this process and have these candidates and applicants potentially come together with the other seven to really build an effective team,” Sorrentino said.

However, Jones said it was encouraging to see other senators respect his rights as a senator to be able to speak on an issue that he is passionate about.

“Senate has become a rubber stamp to candidates from the judiciary and executive branches, and I think it’s time that senate reclaims some of its individuality,” he said.

RecSports announced its development through SnapChat at Tuesday night’s UF Student Senate Meeting.

RecSports Director David Bowles gave a report on its progress since 2010 to highlight new clubs, fitness opportunities and hours, as well as boast its more than 700 student hires.

“We feel that we give them one of the most intense and effective leadership skills that you can get on campus,” Bowles said.

Bowles stressed the importance fitness has on a healthy mind and body.

“Exercise is medicine,” he said.