Gay actor and filmmaker John Waters drew crowds and laughter at the opening ceremony of Pride Awareness Month on Monday night.

Sporting a patterned jacket and his trademark mustache, Waters shared anecdotes about his life with about 500 people in the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom.

During a Q&A session, students asked Waters about his artistic inspiration. One wanted advice about coming out.

“I thought he gave a lot of info, but in a way that was really funny,” said 19-year-old psychology sophomore Ashley Smith of Santa Fe College.

Fans were able to interact with Waters during a meet-and-greet following his talk.

Psychology sophomore Olivia DeMonte, 19, said Waters’ statement that it doesn’t matter who you love resonated with her.

Santa Fe College English senior Rafael Ramos, 21, said he walked out of the ballroom feeling prouder about his sexuality.

Waters said the current spotlight on the queer culture, including the gay-marriage debate, makes this an ideal time for people to explore their sexual preferences.

“There’s a gay character on every television show, and every family has met a gay person, so it’s much more out in the open,” he said.

Someday there will be no pride festivals, he said, because queer culture will be fully integrated into the mainstream.

At the event, Craig Lowe, Gainesville’s first openly gay mayor, spoke about the city’s advances in making the city a safer place for LGBT people.

The event was organized by the UF Pride Student Union and sponsored by RUB Entertainment and Accent Speakers Bureau.

With his characteristic humor, Waters explained why having friends with different sexual preferences keeps things interesting.

“Who wants to hear everyone’s worst night if they’re the same?”