A virus is affecting thousands in the Midwest with severe respiratory symptoms, and as flu season approaches, Gainesville doctors are on high alert.

Dr. Nicole Iovine, UF Health Shands Hospital epidemiologist, said Enterovirus 68 targets people from infancy to young adulthood and cases have jumped since August.

Though Enterovirus 68 is not in Florida, four states have confirmed its presence, and 12 states are investigating potential cases, including Georgia. 

“Flu season approaching definitely complicates things because, regardless, there is going to be an increase in respiratory symptoms,” Iovine said.

There are no Enterovirus 68 treatments or medications on the market, but Iovine said the immune system is capable of fighting it off.

Symptoms are comparable to an intense cold, and the virus has left some hospitalized.

“A very small number of people who contract the virus actually end up in intensive care, so if this virus is managed well and caught on time, the risk of complications are actually very small,” Iovine said.

Alachua County School District health services supervisor Patricia Hughes said county schools have prepared for an outbreak.

“Any tiny complaint a student has, they are being sent straight to a licensed nurse within the school where proper precautions are taken,” Hughes said.

The virus tends to occur in schoolchildren and those who have an existing respiratory complication, like asthma.

Damaris Lopez, 19-year-old public relations sophomore at UF, has had asthma all her life.

“I don’t think I’ve ever gotten a respiratory virus before,” Lopez said. “I obviously don’t want to contract it, but if I do I’ll take the necessary medication to fight it. Bring it on.”

[A version of this story ran on page 3 on 9/12/2014 under the headline "Virus outbreak may make way to FL"]