Florida Museum hosting art, science camps for adults

In an attempt to alter its reputation as a space catered to educating the youth, one UF museum is offering adults a chance to leave the kids at home and indulge in its exhibits after dark.

As part of its 100th anniversary in May, the Florida Museum of Natural History is hosting adult-only classes, art and science camps and other events to encourage adults to get involved with the museum, said Tiffany Ireland, the museum educator. The museum saw a recent trend of more adult visitors, so it wanted to provide more opportunities for them to visit.

One event, the Kid-Free Camp for Grown-ups, will give participants 18 years or older free reign of the museum, including nighttime walks in the outside nature area.

“We started these programs because we get parents coming in and picking up their

kids saying, ‘I wish I got to go to camp,’” she said. “Now the adults get to, too.”

Participants must be 18 years or older and are required to pre-register, Ireland said. Prices range from $20 to $40 and are discounted for museum members.

On Valentine’s Day, the museum hosted an adults-only trivia night, Ireland said. More events are scheduled for March.

“I hope (adults) remember how much fun they had learning as a child,” she said. “But it doesn’t stop. They should always keep learning.”

Ali Gadapee, a museum member, said out of the five years she has been a member, this is the first time it’s done anything like this. She agreed that there’s a need for events marketed toward adults.

“It’s something different to do, other than going to dinner or a movie,” she said. “It’s nice to do something creative and learn something that maybe you’ve forgotten.”