An independent investigation into the March 2 University Police shooting of a UF graduate student at Corry Village is underway, said UF President Bernie Machen in an e-mail to students, faculty and staff Friday.

Margolis, Healy & Associates, a public safety organization specializing in school security, is working with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to collect data and interview witnesses to resolve concerns about the shooting of Kofi Adu-Brempong, Machen said.

Adu-Brempong, the 35-year-old Ghanaian graduate student who faces charges of resisting arrest and aggravated assault, was shot in the face by UPD officer Keith Smith after a two-hour standoff.

Although he was initially placed in critical condition after suffering hand and jaw injuries, he is now able to communicate with hand gestures and facial expressions, said Larry Turner, Adu-Brempong’s lawyer.

In a phone conversation, Machen said students who have information regarding the incident are encouraged to contact the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, and anyone who helps the investigation will be offered legal protection and immunity.

“We were advised by several people that some students were afraid to speak,” he said. “We certainly don’t want them to worry and not come forward.”

Student feedback to UF administration about the incident has been surprisingly low, he said.

The e-mail needed to be sent before the end of break so those returning from vacation would be aware of how the administration is handling the situation, Machen said.

“Due to the unprecedented nature of this incident, I believe, and [UPD] Chief Linda Stump agrees, we must go to extra lengths to fully analyze every aspect...” he said.

Though the results of the investigation could produce some policy changes, Machen said UF is unlikely to restrict gun use by UPD officers.

Machen has advocated student firearm restrictions during his presidential tenure at the University of Utah — which allows guns on campus — and during his time at UF, but he said UPD needs guns to maintain order.

“I don’t support applying a [gun] ban to police officers,” he said.

Turner said two sheriff’s deputies continually guard Adu-Brempong while he recovers at Shands at UF.

Bond is being held at $10,000, but it will not be posted, Turner said. As long as Adu-Brempong is under the custody of the department of the jail, his medical expenses are covered by the state and not his own insurance, he said.

“If the government shot him, they should pay to fix him,” he said.