UF athletic director to speak to students on Gator athletics

<p>Jeremy Foley addresses reporters during a press conference Monday.</p>

Jeremy Foley addresses reporters during a press conference Monday.

UF’s own Jeremy Foley will be having a one-on-one chat with students.

The athletic director will be presenting a keynote speech, followed by a Q&A session, at 6 p.m. April 7 in the Evans Champions Club in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

Foley will share his personal story during the keynote speech. He is not being paid for the event, which is co-hosted by the Accent Speaker’s Bureau and the University Athletic Association, said Accent chairman Corey Flayman.

Foley first began working for the athletics department in 1976 as an intern. He climbed his way up and was hired as athletic director in 1992, according to the university.

Many students would be excited to interact with Foley because of their passion for Gator sports, Flayman said.

Doors will open at 5 p.m. While tickets aren’t required, the event will only be open to students and seating is on a first-come, first-served basis.

The event will also serve as a way for students to voice their opinions on the state of Gator athletics.

“The UAA is also really excited about it because they were looking for an event where they would be able to get feedback from students about the athletic department, so it seemed like a perfect partnership,” Flayman said.

Brittany Magdovitz, a 20-year-old UF food science and human nutrition junior, said she plans to go to the event because of Foley’s work over the years.

“I grew up loving sports and being a Gator, going to every football game there’s ever been, and other sports,” Magdovitz said, “so I want to go see one of the greater athletic directors.”

[A version of this story ran on page 4 on 4/1/2015 under the headline “UF athletic director to speak to students on Gator athletics”]