• December 19, 2014

Acid trip gives UF student the shaft

Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:30 am

A UF student, claiming he was under the influence of LSD, was arrested early Monday after he stripped in front of police and later struck an officer.

Gainesville Police arrested Michael Joseph Silecchia, 19, on charges of resisting arrest and battery on an officer or medical personnel, according to a GPD arrest report.

At about 1 a.m. Saturday, officers responded to the Campus Club Apartments, at 4000 SW 37th Blvd., after residents reported Silecchia was running through the halls of Building 5, said GPD spokesman Officer Ben Tobias.

When police arrived, Silecchia took his clothes off and said he was “God” and “straight.” He also said to officers, “Don’t cut my penis off,” then changed his mind and said, “Cut my penis off,” according to the report.

He then told officers he took acid.

However, police couldn’t confirm if Silecchia was under the influence of the drug.

While officers struggled to subdue Silecchia, he turned and punched a female officer in the head, according to the report.

Officers used a Taser on Silecchia about six times and held him on the ground until more officers secured and arrested him.

Silecchia was later taken to Shands at UF, where he spat at a hospital employee, police said.

Following Silecchia’s three-day treatment at the hospital, officers booked him into the Alachua County Jail early Monday, Tobias said.

Silecchia remained in custody later that night with an $80,000 bond.

Contact Kathryn Varn at [email protected]

11 comments:

• GlinterMcDorr posted at 9:36 pm on Thu, May 9, 2013.

GlinterMcDorr Posts: 1

If Obama had a son.

• ghoster posted at 1:30 pm on Thu, May 2, 2013.

ghoster Posts: 1

That's too bad. If he was a quarterback at FSU it would only have been an attack of Lyme disease. He would never have been tasered, and instead of being arrested he would have been driven home.Then the police would have apologized to him for ruining his fun.

• Corey_Short posted at 12:02 am on Sat, Apr 27, 2013.

Corey_Short Posts: 3

http://www.change.org/petitions/florida-governor-rick-scott-authorized-the-fdle-to-investigate-the-acso

• Romulan posted at 10:53 pm on Fri, Apr 26, 2013.

Romulan Posts: 491

formergator, if you seriously want to understand better, watch these two excellent documentaries:

National Geographic - Inside LSD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aZre1Lib0o
    (select 360p resolution/full screen)

History Channel - Hippies
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gidtqtO1IBE
    (select 720p resolution/full screen)

The short answer is that yes it can act as sort of a reset switch for the mind and cause people to see things in different ways and even solve problems better. Especially for people who have never done it before, it can be a profound experience. Or, it can on rarer occasions cause a bad reaction (but typically not violent.)

That Youtube copy of 'History Channel - Hippies' is apparently a UK version with foreign subtitles. You might be able to download a better version if you know how. If not, that version will suffice. LSD is a central theme (as it was with the hippies.)

• formergator posted at 9:06 pm on Fri, Apr 26, 2013.

formergator Posts: 101

You know I have a really bizarre theory.

Does taking acid make you a hippie? I come from a very conservative part of the state (panhandle), and most everyone was rebublican. I went to UF after high school and after getting into my mid twenties and coming back home friends/acquaintances I remember as conservative growing up are now very liberal, and the ones in question did acid at one point or another during the intervening years. Has anyone else seen or experienced this? I know acid is connected to hippies, I wonder if acid in fact "created" the hippies?

I never would have noticed this I think unless I had come from such a homogeneous polarized political community, but I am just wondering.

• ffusco posted at 2:21 pm on Fri, Apr 26, 2013.

ffusco Posts: 1

Whoever pitched that headline deserves a promotion.

• WilliamB posted at 7:47 pm on Tue, Apr 23, 2013.

WilliamB Posts: 2

Dear Mr. MooseThompson,

First, I feel as if your comment was highly inappropriate and serves as a prime example of cyber-bullying of the modern age. For your sake I have decided that you only misinterpreted my last post so I'll reiterate and elaborate in such a way that you'll hopefully comprehend what I previously wrote. Like I said before, he is one of my close friends, a real pal, and someone I'd always trust to be there for me and in no way turn a blind eye to myself or the community. Unfortunately, awful things can happen to even the most exemplary students here at UF. When I talked to him previous to this unfortunate incident he told me he had planned on a night out with friends and did not go into further detail.

Second, "I've never had such an experience as this on a drug such as acid" because I have never touched/smoked/abused an illicit substance in my life and in no way condone their use. In fact, I look forward to the day where I can do my part in the war on drugs and even dream of an era in which drugs are no longer a negative impact on our community.

I hope that I've cleared up any confusion you have and I also trust that this has served as a lesson to you. When you assume something, whether online or in the real world, it can damage a person's credibility. Have a pleasant evening.

Sincerely,

WilliamB

• MooseThompson posted at 3:02 pm on Tue, Apr 23, 2013.

MooseThompson Posts: 70

William, are you currently on drugs?

• WilliamB posted at 1:48 pm on Tue, Apr 23, 2013.

WilliamB Posts: 2

He's one of my close friends. Though he told me what he had planned. I've never had such an experience as this on a drug such as acid.

• MummysCurse posted at 6:30 am on Tue, Apr 23, 2013.

MummysCurse Posts: 195

I think what's important to remember here is that, if you can't decide whether you want law enforcement to cut off your penis or not, you should talk to your doctor about Emascurol.

• Romulan posted at 4:19 am on Tue, Apr 23, 2013.

Romulan Posts: 491

I'm guessing it was not real LSD but some other substance.