Parking for hospital visits will now likely involve less hassle.

UF&Shands began providing free parking to patients, family members and visitors Monday.

About 2,000 people a day park at UF&Shands, said David Guzick, senior vice president for health affairs and president of the UF&Shands Health System.

Parking fees were used to cover the $1.5 million to $2 million needed to maintain the garage, but now those costs will be paid by UF faculty medical practices and the Shands at UF medical center, he said.

"We like to think it is Gators giving back to Gators," he said.

UF&Shands has three garages and two parking lots for patients and visitors. It used to cost $4 to park in the garages and $6 for valet parking, he said.

"A lack of parking is an impediment, and we wanted to get rid of that impediment," Guzick said.

Molly Williams, a 22-year-old food science and human nutrition senior, said she paid the $4-charge every time she visited her friend, who is undergoing chemotherapy treatment at Shands at UF.

"I think it will make it a lot easier on the parents to come and go as they please," she said.