UF has extended the freshman admission application deadline following Hurricane Matthew.

The university extended the deadline from Nov. 1 to Nov. 4 this week, wrote UF spokesman Steve Orlando in an email. The university chose to extend the deadline because of the hurricane, which brought strong winds and heavy rain to the eastern part of the state earlier this month.

“Hurricane Matthew was a significant event that impacted the lives of many individuals including students applying to college,” Orlando wrote. “We hope this extension will (alleviate) any stress students may have about meeting the application deadline.”

UF has extended the freshman application deadline in the past, following other storms such as Hurricane Sandy in 2012, he said.

A few high-school seniors affected by Hurricane Matthew had reached out to the admissions office, asking for more time due to the storm, Orlando said.

Tori Knott, a senior at Lely High School in Naples, Florida, said she’s glad the university extended the deadline for those who live in areas impacted by Hurricane Matthew.

She said she’s halfway through her application and plans to submit it by the end of the month. Although Naples didn’t see any damages from Matthew, she said the extension will also help her and other students in the state to fine-tune and finish their applications.

“I think it shows that they’re really understanding and considerate of those who want to attend their university,” the 17-year-old said. “I think it’s really thoughtful of them. It shows a lot of really good character from UF.”