Record-low turnout for Student Government election registration

A record-low number of students qualified on the first day for Student Government’s Fall 2013 elections.

Supervisor of Elections Justin Hoover said 42 students qualified Monday — a new low compared to about 80 students in Spring, 78 in Fall 2012 and 48 in Spring 2012.

Hoover said the low turnout might be a result of the change in location because of the Reitz Union construction. This year’s qualifying and slating dates also changed from Friday, Monday and Tuesday to Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

After qualifying, students could choose to run independently or slate with one of 11 parties registered: The Students Party, The Swamp Party, Key Party, Orange and Blue Party, Gator Party, Ignite Party, Frat Party, Progress Party, Greek Party, Unite Party and Keg Party.

Thirteen students slated with the Students Party, according to Campaign Manager Helie Dharia. Last semester 19 slated on the first day and 26 slated last fall.

Swamp Party spokesman Joseph Michaels said 29 students slated with his party. Monday’s turnout is a sharp decrease from about 60 students in spring and 40 students in Fall 2012.

Qualifying and slating continues through Wednesday in rooms 361, 362 and 363 in the Reitz Union from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

A version of this story ran on page 4 on 9/10/2013 under the headline "Record low qualify for elections"