Board of Governors gives UF $1.7 million in "performance" funding

Florida’s Board of Governors is giving UF $1.7 million in performance funding, it announced at its meeting Thursday.

The board had $20 million total to allocate between the schools in the state university system. The amount of funding each school received was determined based on three metrics: cost per degree, average salaries of graduates and percentage of graduates who are employed or continuing their education. UF’s numbers were $25,028, $32,176 and 63 percent, respectively, according to a state document.

“We worked with the Legislature to deliver a win for students and Florida universities,” Gov. Rick Scott said in a press release. “Our goal for supporting students was to ensure they can find a job and pursue their dreams after school. That’s why these millions of dollars are based on our institutions’ effectiveness in preparing our students for the future.”

Six schools got more funding than UF. The University of Central Florida and University of South Florida got the most, at $2.6 million each. New College of Florida had the lowest amount — $435,000.

Scott said in the release administrators should use the money to “enhance their universities” so they can attract talent and create educational environments for students.

In the future, the board will use more metrics that center around student success for evaluation.

A version of this story ran on page 3 on 9/13/2013 under the headline "Board of Governors giving UF $1.7 million in funding"