UAA fan advisory council open for student applications

Gator football fans are getting the chance to make a change in The Swamp.

The UF Athletic Association is accepting applications until June 8 for the Gators Fan Advisory Council, a board of 13 football season-ticket holders who will meet quarterly to discuss ways to enhance the overall game-day experience.

The UAA formed the council last year as a means to get input from fans on what can be improved upon or made different during home football games. 

“Our main focus was discussing ideas for next year,” said Jenn Mereby, UAA guest services coordinator. “(We talked about) things that would have an immediate impact by next football season, if not within the next few games.”

Mereby said topics examined at the meetings ranged from music selection to pyrotechnics.

The meetings had an agenda, and members contributed in a type of roundtable discussion.

As of August 2015, members of the council will serve for two athletic years.

Alicia Zurita, a UF advertising junior, was one of two students who served on the council in its first year.

“It was really cool seeing what goes into Gator football,” Zurita, 19, said. “I got to see a little glimpse of behind-the-scenes. Now I know why some things can happen and others can’t.”

Zurita said the council serves as a good platform for those who really understand the Gator fan experience and want to make a difference, but it could be improved.

“I think more student representatives might make it better,” she said. “It really has a lot of potential to do good things.”

Joe Chiafair, a 21-year-old UF accounting junior, is hoping to be chosen as a council member in the upcoming year.

“It’s important for the fans to be heard because they’re the reason for everything,” he said. “If there’s no fans, then there’s nothing.” 

• Applicants must be at least 21 years old with the exception of UF undergraduate students, who must have completed their freshman undergraduate term by May 2014.

• Applicants must have been student season-ticket holders for the 2013 football season and entered the lottery for the 2014 season.

Applications are online at 

gatorzone.com/fancouncil  

Source: Gatorzone.com