Gainesville Police announced Monday that several blocks of West University Avenue will be closed during every home football game as part of a new safety measure.

Beginning three hours before kickoff and ending two hours after games begin, street blocks between Northwest 17th Street and Gale Lemerand Drive will be closed to vehicle traffic, with multiple detours available, according to a GPD statement issued Monday.

map

The section of University Avenue outlined above will be temporarily closed during football games this year.

The closures were motivated by what GPD Cpt. Jorge Campos described as recent attacks aimed at people in the U.S. and abroad. During a press conference Monday, Campos specifically mentioned the vehicular attack last month in Nice, France, which left more than 80 people dead.

“I think that is a good example of what can happen when you have a runaway vehicle,” he said of the attack.

On gamedays, as thousands of pedestrians swarm to Ben Hill Griffin Stadium on West University Avenue, pregame joy could quickly turn to tragedy, he said.

Campos said guarding the safety of the city’s public remains GPD’s highest priority.

The department began discussing the possibility of implementing the gameday closures about four weeks ago, Campos said. Similar action was taken after the 9/11 terrorist attacks and the death of GPD Lt. Corey Dahlem, who was struck by a drunk driver following a championship basketball game in 2007.

Along with the closures, GPD announced extra Emergency Medical Service personnel with the Gainesville Fire Rescue would be stationed at the closed-off area of West University Avenue during gamedays — as well as near the stadium itself, where they are usually stationed.

Additional city-parking-enforcement employees will also be in the area to prevent illegal parking near the area of the closures, Campos said.

To remind motorists of the closures, temporary message signs will be placed at key intersections along West University Avenue.

Announcements will also be published via social media the week before each home game, according to the statement issued by GPD.

Residents may soon be able to view the detour routes via the smartphone app Waze, although Campos said integrating the routes into the app’s GPS is still a work in progress.

The closures, reviewed by the Florida Department of Transportation, were developed in partnership with University Police, the University Athletic Association, the UF administration, Gainesville Fire Rescue and City of Gainesville Public Works, according to the statement.