Senior drawing exhibition showcases rare 'biological illustration' major at UF

<p>Pictured is an illustration made by Xavier Moss, 22, the only student at UF majoring in biological illustration. Moss will showcase some of his work on April 23 and 24 at the Ayers Technology Plaza at UF’s Innovation Square.</p>

Pictured is an illustration made by Xavier Moss, 22, the only student at UF majoring in biological illustration. Moss will showcase some of his work on April 23 and 24 at the Ayers Technology Plaza at UF’s Innovation Square.

When UF student Xavier Moss took a high school career-evaluation test and the result was medical illustrator, he was intrigued.

He is currently the only student at UF who has entered the biological illustration major in the interdisciplinary studies program, and he said when he first went to the advising office, they told him he was the first student to do it in four years.

As a part of his coursework, he is in an advanced drawing class where the seniors host an exhibition. This year’s is on April 23 and 24 at the Ayers Technology Plaza at UF’s Innovation Square.

As a biological illustrator, Moss’ work for the exhibit will focus on parasitism with a mix of both animal and plant parasites with the hope of educating people on the range of parasites that exist.

Moss’ father first suggested he enter the pre-med track and become a doctor, but Moss had plans to enter the biological illustration major since the beginning of his college career.

“So it was just kind of a fusion between illustration, which I’ve always just loved to draw, and then science,” the 22-year-old said, “and I like science but hate chemistry.”

Moss has taken classes that most students on the pre-med track must take early on, but he took classes that typically would be electives for pre-med students as his core classwork.

These include courses in avian and spider biology and zoology.

Alyssa Hendricks, a UF art senior specializing in drawing, is also showcasing her work in the exhibit. 

It’s comprised of geometric shapes worked into classical illustrations of nature to describe how the digital age is tearing away the organic image of nature and animals.

“(Drawing is) a major that’s usually not sought after just because people think they’re not going to make money or whatever,” Hendricks said, “but I’d rather enjoy what I do than make a lot of money and be miserable.”

For Moss, he said students looking into the biological illustration major should start early because of the upper-division courses students need to take as early as sophomore year.

“Just go to the IDS office and ask them whatever questions you have about it and go from there,” Moss said.

Looking back on his experience in the major and with interdisciplinary studies, Moss said he has enjoyed seeing both right-brained and left-brained thinkers and learners.

“I think just kind of like, being between liberal arts and school of arts,” he said, “you kind of just meet a very interesting mix of people.”

[A version of this story ran on page 1 - 4 on 4/17/2015]