Doctor says health care should be nation’s priority

<p>Dr. Pedro Jose "Joe" Greer talks about the homeless and health care at the Bob Graham Center in Pugh Hall on Tuesday night.</p>

Dr. Pedro Jose "Joe" Greer talks about the homeless and health care at the Bob Graham Center in Pugh Hall on Tuesday night.

About 150 people gathered Tuesday night to hear a doctor and college administrator discuss national health care and how to improve it.

Dr. Jose Greer, assistant dean of academic affairs at Florida International University’s Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, said health care reform is worth the sacrifices it will require.

Former Florida Gov. Bob Graham introduced Greer in the Bob Graham Center for Public Service.

Greer said physicians shouldn’t refuse to treat anyone.

“We should be without prejudice, but we’re not,” he said.

He said the U.S. spends the most money on health care in the world, yet it does not have the world’s best health care program.

He said this is unacceptable.

“I want to have the healthiest nation,” he said. “I want to do the things that need to be done.”

Society wants to take care of the homelessness problem but not the poverty problem, Greer said.

Erica Crump, a 26-year-old UF alumna who is applying for medical school, said she enjoyed hearing from someone who shares her values in terms of health care and helping people.

“It’s nice to hear from people who have similar goals,” she said.