UF researchers working to create anti-virus program

Ransomware — viruses that steal computer files and hold them hostage for money — causes Americans to lose millions of dollars, and UF researchers are working on a solution.

Nolen Scaife, a doctoral student at UF’s Computer & Information Science department and co-founder of UF’s Institute for Cybersecurity, is helping create a program called CryptoDrop.

He said CryptoDrop, unlike other anti-virus programs that look for a known list of problems, is programmed to look for new attacks as they unfold, stopping them in their tracks.

When ransomware takes over someone’s files (such as photos or Microsoft Word documents), it then demands a payment, he said.

To prevent issues, he said, the program will work with other anti-virus software such as AVG AntiVirus or Avast.

Richard Newman, a UF assistant professor in the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering, said cyber crime is not very risky for criminals, making it just as popular as tradition crimes.

“They’re (hackers) not going to get shot by a guard or policeman or homeowner,” he said. “They’re not going to get bit by a dog.”

Scaife said CryptoDrop currently works with Windows computers, and his team is looking for a partner to commercialize the program.

“If we can keep people from having the burden of paying the ransom, we believe that we can choke off the supply of money to the ransomware attackers,” he said.