UF professors selected to research childhood drug abuse

The National Institute of Health awarded two UF professors a grant to partake in the Adolescent Brain Cognitive Development Study, which will explore how drug exposure and abuse affect children’s academic performance and mental health.

UF epidemiology professor Linda Cottler and psychiatry professor Sara Nixon will conduct the research, studying nicotine, alcohol and marijuana abuse.

Cottler said the two will interact with 10,000 children between 9 and 10 years old to study how they react to drug exposure.

UF family, youth and community sciences senior Meghan Arahill said although there may be controversy because of how young the children are, the study is important.

"I think it’s about time a study like this happened," the 21-year-old said.

Cottler said she and Nixon competed with multiple people around the country.

"We’re really proud to be one of the sites conducting the research," Cottler said.

- Rachel Howard

UF professor helps reef fish survive deep-sea fishing

Recreational fishermen may be costing reef fish their lives.

When fish are caught during deep-sea fishing, their swim bladder, which helps them stay buoyant at different sea levels, expands and creates pressure. If the reef fish are thrown into the ocean without proper catch-and-release knowledge, the fish will float and most likely die, said UF food resource economics professor Charles Adams, who is a marine-economics specialist for the Florida Sea Grant program.

But the problem can be fixed, he said.

Fishermen can make a small poke in the fish with a venting tool, a hollow-needle instrument that can help release the gases. Adams said the fish can then swim normally and return to the correct sea level.

Fishermen can also use a weighted line that hooks the fish, takes them back down and releases them where they should be, he said.

Adams said fishermen are willing to learn to use these tools because they understand the importance of avoiding abuse.

- Beatriz Martinez