Registration is already closed for the UF Career Resource Center’s inaugural Gator Shadow Day on Feb. 20.

Registration opened before Winter Break and spots were filled within two weeks, said Nadene Reynolds, the senior assistant director for professional development and experience at the center.

More than 80 students from all majors applied to participate in the one-day event, where they will shadow an employer in their field of interest.

The CRC’s goal is to connect students with employment opportunities, Reynolds said.

“We had a very strong and positive student response,” she said. “We didn’t even start our social media campaign board.”

Students completed an online application through Gator CareerLink, which asked about their interests and strengths. Students are not guaranteed employment or an internship, Reynolds said.

Alexis Brown, a UF anthropology freshman, said she enjoys having access to her own career counselor and using the center’s library and resume preparation.

“I’d like to do Gator Shadow Day,” Brown, 18, said. “It seems like a really good program.”

Reynolds said the idea was inspired by a challenge from a former supervisor to develop a way to educate students on employment opportunities and help them prepare.

“I would hope that in the future that we would have Gator Shadow Days rather than a Gator Shadow Day,” Reynolds said.

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 1/23/2015 under the headline “Gator Shadow Day registration filled"]