<p>Anthony "Gator Tony" Burke has become a quintessential gameday figure on campus, giving toasts to pump up tailgaters before every home game.</p>

Anthony "Gator Tony" Burke has become a quintessential gameday figure on campus, giving toasts to pump up tailgaters before every home game.

New school year, new football season.

A melting pot of Gator fans all teeming with spirit will swamp the UF campus Saturday as the Gators take on the University of Idaho Vandals.

For Florida fans, game days are about more than just the football.

University Police recommends taking several precautions for fans tailgating and attending the game.  

About 150 police officers will work from within the stadium, UPD Lt. Alton McDilda said.

“Game days are very, very festive and hectic, but overall it’s an enjoyable experience,” McDilda said.

In the first half, the heat could be accompanied by some showers.

For those attending the event, “get ready for rain, especially the first half,” with a 50 percent chance of showers, said Matt Zibura, a National Weather Service forecaster.

With temperatures expected to be in the low 80s and mid 70s Saturday, staying hydrated for Gator fans is key.

When consuming alcohol, hydration often becomes an issue.

“People forget that they need to hydrate with water,” McDilda said. He suggested people have 16 ounces of water for every 12 ounces of beer or each shot of alcohol they consume.

UF prohibits open containers of alcohol except in tailgating areas, and alcohol is not to be taken inside the stadium. Tailgating areas can be found all over campus, unless indicated otherwise by flagging tape.

Although individual water bottles are not permitted inside the stadium, on days when the heat is unbearable, McDilda said, heat initiatives like water bottle sales will be put in place.

Competitive UF cheerleader Kristen Morga, a 19-year-old UF nursing sophomore, will usher the Swamp stands Saturday.

Morga said fans should go all out on Gator gear to show their spirit for the game and estimate time to find parking.

“Make the best out of the game,” she said.

This year, there will be no gameday parking on the Plaza of the Americas, UF spokesman Steve Orlando wrote in an email.

Orlando said although tailgating is still permitted in that area, the school wants to prevent any further damage to grass, tree roots and sidewalks.

The Gainesville City Commission recently raised towing rates from $76 to $100 for those parking illegally, so fans should plan to find parking before the event.

[A version of this story ran on page 1 on 8/29/2014 under the headline "First gameday of the season"]