Students will have food for thought when UF hosts the first Florida Food Summit next week.

The summit, hosted by UF’s Office of Sustainability, will educate the public through speeches and panel discussions about sustainability, food systems and Alachua County produce, said Ashley Pennington, outreach coordinator for the office.

“We live in such an agriculturally rich state,” she said. “It’s exciting to allow people to see what is available in our local agriculture, how it is stored and how it is provided to the community.”

The summit will consist of three main events, including a farmers market and two keynote presentations.

On Monday, students will have the opportunity to speak with local farmers and buy produce from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the Reitz Union North Lawn.

Sean McLendon, sustainable program manager of Alachua County, will be speaking during a panel called Challenges and Opportunities for the Food System in Alachua County Monday.

“It’s rare that you get to have all of the state food groups in one place,” McLendon said.

Admission is free, and most events are open to the public.