Economics professors and UF students discussed the cause of the economic recession and job prospects for graduates at a forum Tuesday night in Pugh Hall.

The forum was sponsored by Chomp the Vote, a Student Government agency dedicated to raising voter awareness, and about 80 students attended.

Jenna Stern, Chomp the Vote director, started the forum by introducing UF economics professors David Denslow and Mark Rush.

Forum moderator and philosophy senior Derek Helmick asked Denslow and Rush a series of questions stemming from three topics: the history of the economic crisis, current strategies for economic recovery and America’s economic future.

One of the topics related to the cause and scope of the economic crisis.

Rush and Denslow cited the housing bubble, mortgages that fueled the bubble and thousands of loans bundled together.

“I called the recession years before it happened,” Denslow said. “And I kept calling it.”

Chemical engineering senior Daniel Rood asked Rush’s views on centralized banking.

“As an economist, it’s something I’m just not sure about on a theoretical level,” said Rush, who worked for The Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City in the 1980s. “In the real world, you see every nation has a central bank.”

The professors also spoke about the realities of graduating seniors planning to enter the work force.

“Unfortunately, a relatively high rate [of] unemployment will be with us for some time,” Denslow said. “If you are graduating, many of you will continue on with further education.”

Chomp the Vote is holding education and environment forums at 6 p.m. in Pugh Hall on February 25 and March 25, respectively.