Millhopper Branch Library to reopen in Febuary

After a little more than a year of renovations, the Millhopper Branch Library will turn over a new page when it reopens Feb. 27.

Volunteers and staff members began unpacking books, furniture and other materials earlier this week in the newly renovated building, located at 3145 NW 43rd St.

More than 8,000 square feet were added to the Millhopper location during its closure. For the past year, readers have visited the library’s temporary facility on the second floor of the Bank of America building, 2627 NW 43rd St.

“The Millhopper Library had really outgrown the number of people who were going there,”  said Angela Harris, spokeswoman for the Alachua County Library District. “There wasn’t enough space for patrons to get away, which is one of the main purposes of a library.”

Harris said the renovations include a new adult reading room, a young adult area, two meeting rooms, a larger circulation area, space for a future café, additional parking and an expanded children’s area, which will include a playground.

Harris said only about 10 percent of the Millhopper Library’s total collection is now in circulation at its temporary location. The rest was put in storage and is just now being pulled out at the renovated site.

Gail Dewsbury, a longtime library lover, said she is excited for the library to reopen.

“I love to read, the library is my lifeline,” she said. “I can’t wait for the reopening.”

Dewsbury thinks the Millhopper branch’s expansions to the circulation area and the parking lot will be  more convenient.

The temporary site will close Feb. 15 to allow staff members to finish transferring the collection.

From Feb. 15 to Feb. 26, there will be no Millhopper branch open.

Until Feb. 15, Harris said, books should be returned to the temporary location.