She’s the First UF event funds scholarships for girls

UF students will help raise money for girls’ education in developing countries Sunday.

She’s the First UF will hold its second annual Day of the Girl Summit to educate students about global gender-inequality issues while raising scholarship funds through the donations required to attend, which are $5 during presale and $7 at the door. The summit, which includes workshops and panels, will run from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. in Ustler Hall.

Last year, STF UF raised about $400 during the summit for girls from countries such as Uganda, Ethiopia and Peru, said Valentina Lopez-Diaz, the group’s vice president of operations. The money raised will be given to the STF national chapter for scholarships to fund the education of six girls.

Many of these girls will be the first in their families to graduate from high school, the 20-year-old UF marketing junior said.

“I think being educated is one of the greatest gifts I’ve ever had,” Lopez-Diaz said. “I think that everyone deserves a chance to get an education, especially girls, because we have the power to change the world.”

About 100 people can attend the summit, and there are about 60 spots left, said Michelle Ospina, the summit’s director. She said she hopes to raise as much money as possible for the girls.

“I think it just gives everyone a purpose and connects each one of us together,” the 19-year-old UF industrial and systems engineering sophomore said.