Students, residents race to show support for medical student

With 40 seconds until race time, participants scurried to line up behind a UF College of Medicine student who incurred brain damage in a car accident in June.

The Sunday morning 5K Race for Ray brought about 200 people and $3,000 to support Ray Brown, an army veteran who finished two years of medical school with the class of 2014 before his accident.

Before the starter’s pistol was fired, Philip Gilbo, 25, academic chairman of the College of Medicine class of 2014, prayed aloud and told Brown everyone came to support him on his new journey.

“It’s a way to show Ray, ‘Hey, we’re with you, and we’re with you on this journey,’” Gilbo said.

Brown, who turns 32 today, completed most of “the boot,” a loop around Lake Alice, in his wheelchair with his mother, brother, sister-in-law and physical therapist.

A cheering section welcomed Brown to the final stretch.

With help from his physical therapist, John Cagan, 42, Brown stood and used a walker to complete his race. The cheering got louder.

Brown was injured while coming home from visiting a friend in Nashville, Tenn., said Ray Brown’s brother, Tom Brown, 33. He lost control of his car and collided with a semi truck.

Ray Brown has been home in St. Augustine with his family for about two weeks after months of treatment. He is working with speech, occupational and physical therapists.

Tom Brown said his brother is improving at a good pace.

Kristy Brown, 30, Tom Brown’s wife, said the race was uplifting for her brother-in-law.

“It’s amazing the spirit of people when there’s a time of need,” she said.

She said strangers have donated money and commented on the blog, Pray for Ray, that was set up to provide updates.

Dr. Richard Brazell, 47, an obstetrician and gynecologist at North Florida Regional Medical Center, was the first to pass the finish line. He didn’t know Ray Brown before the run, but he said this race is about hope.

Brazell said it’s typical of patients with critical injuries to feel isolated and alone.

Ray Brown said his favorite part about the race was all the people. Supporters sang “Happy Birthday” and signed the “Race-Day Registration” sign, which went home with Ray Brown.