Website brings local food with no service charge

The Campus Special, the company known for its $100 bill coupon books, is delivering a new online food service to students at UF.

FCampusSpecial.com is a new website where students can order food from local restaurants and have it delivered to their dorm or apartment for free.

Joe Jacobs, one of the founding partners of Food Court, began planning the service in 2005 with Chau Nguyen.

Jacobs and Nguyen spent two years building prototypes before beginning testing this summer and finally launching the site for the fall 2010 semester.

Jacobs said many students were asking if they could use the coupon books to order online. When he looked into that option, he discovered that the other food delivery websites were charging 75 cents per order.

“It shouldn’t be that much of a luxury to order online, so now we’re doing it for free,” he said.

Through the Food Court website, students can select restaurants based on menu, cost and business hours.

In an attempt to create easy accessibility for all, the company has designed an application for Facebook that allows students to order directly from their profiles. Orders can also be made from www.CampusSpecial.com.

Kelly Johnson, a UF senior, said she saw advertisements for the Food Court website on all of the coupons distributed by the company and decided to try it.

“I was skeptical at first, but now it’s just easy to do,” she said.

Editor's Note 9/05/10: This article corrected the website name. The original headline was inaccurate as delivery charges can apply.