Tuesday, March 19, 2024
<p>A shop located in Beijing</p>

A shop located in Beijing

American fashion designer and businessman Steve Madden is coming to UF today.

Madden is speaking at Norman Hall, Room 137, at 5:30 p.m. for a free event, titled Sole Sessions, hosted by CollegeFashionista and UF’s Retail Society. Those interested in attending must RSVP online to attend the event.

Amy Levin, the founder of CollegeFashionista, a fashion-trend media site, will be asking Madden about his career before letting students ask questions, said Katie Fabry, the marketing manager at CollegeFashionista. During the event, Madden will also talk about his business ideas, how he is self-made and what is next for him.

“The choice to go to the University of Florida was primarily Steve’s idea,” she said.

Adriana Gurdian, the president of UF‘s Retail Society, said representatives from CollegeFashionista reached out to the organization over the summer to coordinate this event.

“This is the biggest event that has come across our table,” the 20-year-old UF marketing junior said. “To have such a big figure come to our university is something that’s a really big deal for the business school in general.”

Fabry said the event will be the first time the website is collaborating with UF. At the end of the event, Madden will be giving $10 Uber vouchers and gift cards to use on his merchandise at a shopping party, which will follow the discussion and will be at the Dillard’s in Oaks Mall.

“(Madden) really wants to make it a learning experience for every student,” Fabry said. “Not just those who are interested in fashion.”

A shop located in Beijing