Max Brooks, author of the best-selling books “Zombie Survival Guide” and “World War Z” is coming to campus to prepare UF students for the zombie apocalypse.

Kayla Clark, a director of the Reitz Union Board Entertainment’s lecturers and comedians committee, said with the recent release of the movie “World War Z” and Halloween coming up quickly, the timing was right to have Brooks come and speak.

“UF is crazy about zombies,” said Clark, a 20-year-old recreation, parks and tourism junior.

She said the event — scheduled for Oct. 30 — will be held in the Rion Ballroom inside the Reitz Union and will be free and open to the public.

Brandy Burgess, associate director of programs, arts and leisure for the Reitz Union, said Brooks is being paid $15,500 to come and speak. Corey Berner, president of the Gators Humans vs. Zombies club, said his club is working with RUB Entertainment to promote the event.

Berner, a 21-year-old UF geography senior, said the two groups are coordinating a zombie dress-up contest, where the winner will have the opportunity to meet Brooks.

“I’m actually a really big Max Brooks fan,” he said. “I have (two) of his books and I’ve read them multiple times.”

Brooks said his survival guide was based on real-world research and solutions. After he saw people liked his book, he started going on the road and doing talks about zombie survival.

His tips on how to survive an apocalypse of walking flesh eaters are applicable for any crisis, not just ones that involve the undead, he said.

He said when people ask him if he has a zombie survival bag, he tells them he’s had one since he grew up in Los Angeles — except he called it an earthquake bag back then.

“If you’re ready for a zombie apocalypse, you’re really ready for any disaster,” he said.

A version of this story ran on page 5 on 10/23/2013 under the headline "Author visiting campus dead serious about zombie survival"