UF students skip food for Fast-a-Thon

UF chemical engineering freshman Yasir Nagi’s last meal was Gator Dining leftovers — Philly steak-and-cheese Hot Pockets.

He won’t eat again until he goes to the Stephen C. O’Connell Center tonight.

The 18-year-old is forgoing food during Islam on Campus’ Fast-a-Thon, which mirrors the summer Islamic holiday Ramadan. About 700 people will participate, breaking their daylong fast in the O’Connell Center.

"The purpose of fasting is to develop our powers of self control and self restraint, and also to experience how the less fortunate live their lives," Nagi said.

Fast-a-Thon is an annual UF event that explains what fasting is and why it’s important to the Islamic faith, Rashhan Siddique, a 20-year-old UF electrical engineering junior, said. Ramadan has two purposes. The first is to attain Allah’s (the Islamic god) consciousness and be aware that Allah is in our daily lives, and the second is to feel thankful for everything you have.

For every person who participates, UF Islam on Campus will donate $5 to two organizations, one local and one international, said Siddique, one of the event’s organizers. Some of the donations will go to Project Downtown Gainesville, which provides food for homeless people on Bo Diddley Downtown Community Plaza. Money will also be donated to Islamic Relief Worldwide, which provides relief abroad, Siddique said.

The breaking-of-the-fast event will kick off at 6:30 p.m. with a dinner catered by Golden Dynasty Chinese, a restaurant in Orlando. This year’s festivities will also include AbdelRahman Murphy, who will speak of the spiritual importance of fasting and his experiences as a Muslim convert, Siddique said. Murphy will be paid $2,400 honorarium, which will cover his flight and hotel.

Nagi, who was raised Muslim, said he feels close to the Muslim community when he fasts. He said he felt that sense of togetherness in his hometown of Pembroke Pines, Florida, and he said he hopes he will feel the same way at the Fast-a-Thon.

"I hope to find people who are open-minded with Islam and people who are willing to learn about what it means to fast," he said.